Next to the Christmas holidays perhaps Holy Week is the next longest series of break that every Filipinos can enjoy each year.
Conservative people may question why some choose to have fun during Holy Week, when people are expected to make some sacrifices in commemoration of Jesus’ sufferings. In my case, I stop thinking like manangs and manongs long long long time ago. Holy Week now for me is the time when I can re-charge myself after period of being serious at work. And besides, Holy Week is not really a season to grief, but a season to rejoice because with Christ’s death and resurrection, the promise of eternal life is made close at hand to all. So have a guilt-free vacation this Holy Week.
Now if you are still wondering where to go this Holy Week and tired of going to either Boracay Island or Puerto Galera, let me give you some of my suggested places:
1) Anawangin If you like the challenge of going back to basic, Anawangin is the place for you. It is a cove in the town of San Antonio, Zambales. I have to warn you though that there is no electricity, no cellphone signal and no resort in Anawangin. You have to put-up your own tent and cook your own food. There is no room for Primadonnas in the island.
If you are into photography, you will surely enjoy Anawangin. You can also schedule a side trip to Capones Island and Camara Island when you are in Anawangin.
2) Cagbalete Island Cagbalete Island is a paradise just waiting to be discovered in the province of Quezon. Nature lovers and adventurers will enjoy the rich flora & fauna that Cagbalete has to offer. The sand bar of Cagbalete is spectacular so be sure to take its picture when the tide is low.
Jump-off point for people wanting to visit Cagbalete is Mauban, Quezon. If you need a place to stay , be sure to check-in at Pansacola Beach Resort.
3) Guimaras Island Guimaras is an island province located in the Western Visayas region of the Philippines. The island is located in the Panay Gulf, between the islands of Panay and Negros. The island also boast of itself as the producer of the sweetest mangoes in the world.
Guimaras is just 15 minutes boat ride from Ilo-ilo City so if you want to experience nightlife, you can also decide to spend a night in Ilo-ilo City.
4) Siquijor Island Siquijor is an island province in the Central Visayas region of the Philippines. It is considered by many Filipinos as a mystical island due to the strong beliefs of its local to supernatural. Aside from swimming, spelunking, trekking and church hopping are some of the things that you can do in Siquijor.
To date, I consider it as the best island I have been in the Philippines.
5) Coron , Palawan Coron is one of the most beautiful town of Palawan. For the longest time, I rated Coron , Palawan as one of the top three places in the Philippines. It has the country’s cleanest lake i.e. Kayangan Lake which has a breathtaking view. Barracuda Lake is equally enhanting. It has a lot of dive spot surrounding Coron.
Words are not enough to describe Coron. You have to go there and experience it.
So there you go, pack your things and have fun in the sun.
Don’t forget to pray, it is still Holy Week anyway.
Cheers to the good life!